Tuesday, August 3, 2010

"I love this quote"

Today my residents and I were in the Sacramento Bee. They had our pictures taken while sitting around the table discussing Dear Abby or Dear Carolyn. You should have seen their faces. They were so proud and happy. This morning one of my residents fell and they took her to the hospital. As she was coming in one of the nurses, who had read the article, said "hey, their is a celebrity in the house." That made her day. I love giving joy to these incredible souls. It is hard to explain but there is no more masks, or facades, they are so real and true to themselves and others. I love it. I mean, they just tell it like it is. I learn from them everyday. I love my job, but the pay is pretty bad. I think it is important to love what you are doing. I was making more money working as a counselor with problem children and their parents, but I had to leave to do something I love. I was fortunate. Most people can't do that or won't. I guess it depends on the persons priorities. I remember having a room mate who was telling a story to group of people about a man who gave up his $100,000 year job (he had a wife and kids) to work on trains, because that was his dream. I thought that was the greatest thing and she scoffed at me and told me I was stupid. Funny, how different we all are. If you don't like your job, is there a way to bring a ray of sunshine to your daily routine? I say yes, be that ray of sunshine, have it your daily goal to make people smile. It might make your day a whole lot better. Here is a quote I love "if you change the way you look at things the things you look at change."
Have fun!
Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment