Saturday, August 28, 2010

"I did it!"

I did it! I road my bike to work and back my first week. Yeah! For those of you who do not know me, I want to tell you about my weight struggles. I have been battling my weight issue for over 20 years. Two years ago my highest weight was 273 pound at a size 26. I used every excuse in the book to tell myself that my weight did not effect my life. I have a great husband, I have never had health problems, and I always say "it is what is on the inside that counts." Now that is still true, and will always be true. But two years ago when I was on one of my trips to Mexico, and I could barely walk, my hips and knees were killing me. Traveling has always been the most important thing to me, the one thing I love most. So, I finally said enough is enough. Well it has been two years and I have only lost 58 pounds. 8 months ago I was at a 68 pounds lost. I had a big "failure" in my life, had a pity party for two weeks, and now I am back. This is such a difficult journey. I admire all of you who have lost weight over the years. I am on Weight Watchers, and I go to Curves. I two know people older than me who have lost 103 pounds in 18 months and 93 pounds in 18 months. It has been so frustrating. I wanted to give up so many times, but I can't give up. This is the hardest thing I have ever done and I believe that if I can do this, I can do anything! That is why it is so important for me to lose weight. The only difference is the exercise, I have to change the way I look at things. I have changed my eating habits. (even though I am not perfect) but now something else has to change. So that is why I have been riding my bike. I don't have to be thin, I just want to feel good in my body. My goal is a size 14 or 12. I can be happy with that. Why, because I choose too. I notice that most women are never happy with their bodies. That needs to change. Society, doctors, even Weight Watchers say I need to be a size 6 to be healthy. I can be happy at a size 14, so size 14 here I come.
Lauren

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations, Lauren. You might come to like cycling and take it up for recreation. Never mind that. Just commuting is great.
    Apropos of something you talked about a few posts ago, I was wondering if you have a theme song that can click you out of a bad mood. I have two: "Happy Talk" from "South Pacific" and "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life" from "Monty Python."
    Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete