Wednesday, September 15, 2010

"Never to late to play."

Tomorrow I go back to work and the truth is I don't mind because I get to see my residents. They are so amazing. There are mostly women, a few men, and most of them are over 80 years old. They are so different, just like most people, but the one thing they have in common is a sense of calmness. I thought that they would be very old fashioned, and the same with their views, but they aren't. They are wise in a sense that they don't worry like we do. The only thing they worry about is where their teeth are, and what time is dinner. They see things differently then us younger folks. Maybe because they have been there, done that, and have figured out that worrying about things is pointless, and trying to control your surroundings is futile. They are very open to experience new things, and love to get in touch with their child within. We have a blast whether it is playing bean bag toss, or hitting a balloon back and forth, laughter is everywhere. They don't care what anybody else thinks, they say what they want. They don't appear to be afraid of death, and they know when their time has come, that means it is their time to go. They seem at peace with that. I have learned a lot from my residents. I have learned that their is no age limit for "playing", that you can learn at any age and that life at 80 is not so bad.
Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment