Thursday, October 14, 2010

"We can learn from others"

I believe that we can learn about ourselves through others. I call it "the mirror effect". We can learn a lot about ourselves from the company we keep. For example: if your boyfriend is abusive and belligerent to you, that may "mirror" that you were taught to be a victim and has a low self-esteem. If your friends are well adjusted and confident, then whether you realize it or not you are too. This is a good way to learn about ourselves to see if there is anything we want to work on. I do this often. One person who drove me crazy was a women who had so much energy and never listen. Then one day someone said she is just like you, I was upset but realized, oh my God, it was true. I did not like seeing myself in a "mirror", so I still have a lot of energy but now I take time to really listen. So when someone shows up in your life and pushes your buttons, take a few minutes and see what you can learn. It may mean that at that moment you are being judgmental, or that person reminds you of someone from your past. It can also be positive if you admire someone for being creative, there is a good chance you are too, in ways you don't realize. Check it out, have fun with it, and let me know what happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment